Background

In-house design at the company developed organically over several years, but never had been formalized in clear way and because of that the discipline struggled to gain recognition, impact, and scale throughout the organization. Assets were stored across many different on-and-offline services making brand cohesion a slippery goal, thoughtful project guidelines and templates were buried in Google Drive folders making them hard to find and therefore seldom used. Staff were frustrated and felt underserved, despite designers working tirelessly to move through requests.

I saw incredible opportunity to impact internal workplace culture, evangelize visual design, and scale the hard work we were doing for the organization. I created a resource site for all things visual at the company as a place for proactive self-service, inspiration, the latest resources, and need-it-now help. 

I started by gathering notes from various project-related meetings about the frustrations of staff in regional offices and in HQ, and this lead to a pitch to the director of communications and the CMO so secure their support in the project. I developed surveys, conducted staff interviews, sketched and wire-framed potential solutions, card sorted to validate IA structures, collaborated with various department leads, and ultimately beta tested the product. By the time I left the organization the product was in beta.
Early prototype
This early proof of concept was built in Google Sites since the organization runs on GSuite. 
Prototype revision
Based on testing and feedback. This is the interactive mockup with company information removed for privacy purposes. Feel free to click around and explore the interactive demo.

Interactive demo:
Process

I started by gathering notes from various project-related meetings about the frustrations of staff in regional offices and in HQ, and this lead to a pitch to the director of communications and the CMO so secure their support in the project. I developed surveys, conducted staff interviews, sketched and wire-framed potential solutions, card sorted to validate IA structures, collaborated with various department leads, and ultimately beta tested the product. By the time I left the organization the product was in beta.

You may also like

Back to Top